Technical skills won’t help with these
To give you an idea of what I mean, here are a few of the coaching conversations I had that gave professionals hope, a next step or to get unstuck.
- Work through the frustration of not being promoted
- Gain clarity on how to earn the confidence of a senior partner
- Negotiate direction with a fellow office leader
- Establish niche leadership across offices
- Work with a micromanaging partner
- Balance wanting to help others without being overloaded
- Work at higher level by delegating lower level work
- Manage feelings of guilt when saying no
- Advocate for self to demonstrate promotion-readiness
You may consider some of these concerns as silly or trivial, but if you are demotivated or discouraged by any of them, they matter. They matter immensely.
More valuable than technical skills
These are the “soft skill conversations” that will ultimately make your career successful and fulfilling (or not). Perhaps “soft skills” aren’t so soft after all. Maybe they are the new high-value skills. Maybe they are the very skills that are no longer optional. Perhaps you should be more attuned to these skills, especially because technology will replace much of the technical work that you do now anyway.
If you don’t assume responsibility for your personal well-being, career path and professional fulfillment, who will? It’s no one else’s responsibility. So take action by identifying where you are stymied or stumbling and take care of it so you too, can find hope, a next step or to get unstuck. Your value, success and fulfillment depend on…well, you.
Read Related Blogs:
During a recent coaching conversation I had with a partner, he listed all the things that weren’t going well. Some of his complaints were common among other partners in other firms. Some were specific to his firm or his situation. The Golden Insight About half way...read more
You and I have been misled. Sorta. We have been told that stress is bad for you, causing all kinds of problems, illnesses and disease. The research and studies over the years seem to have validated this belief. But what we didn’t know until recently is that stress is...read more